Monday, September 14, 2009

Frati Gelato Cafe

The best gelato around is at Frati in Fullerton.  Yesterday, I stopped in with a friend of mine who is a devotee of ice cream.  Up until then, she had only had something sweet and frozen that is sold under the name "gelato", but it came from a mall shop called melt and, well, because of that, she really had no idea of the unsurpassed goodness of authentic gelato.  As we walked in, I told the staff that this is her first visit and they were very pleasant and attentive with her as they are with every customer. On an earlier suggestion, my friend tried the straciatella and her whole face lit up like she had struck gold.  She then said what I've heard other friends say after trying a couple of samples, "I wish you had never taken me here--I won't be able to stay away from this place"!  I tried the lemon souffle and bosco swirl.  She was hooked on the straciatella and I finally decided on both the bosco swirl and rum hazelnut--a combination that makes me weak in the knees just thinking about it!  Straciatella has been described to me in a few ways, "sort of cookies and cream" or, "Romeo and Juliet", etc.  I think it is a creation that defies a scant two or three word description. Straciatella is vanilla gelato with chocolate bits throughout it at surprising intervals; sometimes in obediently even flecks, at others small pools and everything in between, while the entire serving is increasingly, commandingly addictive.  The bosco swirl starts off as a cream to die for with a generous addition of frutti di bosco, composed of blackberries, blueberries and raspberries stirred in--perfetto!  Then, there was the rum hazelnut--a creamy, undeniable rum romance with candied hazelnut pieces that makes me stop to collect myself.  Now, I could have just as easily had the chocolate, nutella crunch, frate, nectarine or the supreme strawberry pineapple, or, well you get the idea.  The incredible flavors are served at Frati on a rotating basis, so it is imperative to make regular visits.  Going to Frati is mandatory for me--I know you will enjoy it too!   

Rating: one to four spoons, four being best:
4

No comments:

Post a Comment